You are famished. You’ve been furiously working all day and now, you NEED something to eat. On your walk home, you pass a new restaurant. The interior is quirky — you like quirky things — the host is smiling, the diners are happily talking over their plates, and delicious smells are wafting. Skimming the brief menu taped to the window, you realize that they have what you need: food.
A good ‘About Us’ video does all of these things. It tells the story of a brand, provides necessary information, fulfills a need, establishes a bit of social proof, and clearly shows what a brand is about. We’ve discussed a lot of different kinds of videos in this blog: interviews, series, and outdoor shoots, but your ‘About Us’ video is perhaps THE most important video you can make for your brand. This week, we will share eleven considerations that will elevate your ‘About Us’ video, starting with “the basics”.
There is no exact formula for creating amazing ‘About Us’ video. In fact your video should really be your own unique snowflake. However, there are six basics that most effective videos have in common.
- Admittedly, you have a lot of ground to cover in your video; however you need to do it efficiently. There are longer ‘About Us’ videos out there (we’re going to link you to one further down this page) but you should try to keep the length of your video nestled between the one and three minute mark. We’ve harped on this point in some of our other posts, but understanding your audience’s attention span is the first step in getting your point across and turning potential customers into loyal patrons.
- This video is an introduction between your brand and a potential customer. Your script needs to reflect that idea. Imagine yourself at a social mixer. How would you introduce yourself to strangers in the room? Would you get caught up trying to include complicated parts of your life story? Or would you try to communicate the most interesting information about yourself clearly and succinctly? Hopefully, the second option has struck a chord with you. Think about this scenario while you’re writing your script. Write for accessibility. Don’t bog your audience down with technical jargon. Use exciting language that is clear and concise. Avoid long narratives and focus more on explaining information or telling stories in short blurbs.
- The Stars
- An ‘About Us’ video is about your business, but it’s also about you and any dedicated employees that are the backbone of your brand. This video is an opportunity to put a face to your brand, which is exactly what some of the most effective ‘About Us’ videos do. This video isn’t about driving sales; it’s about making a connection, something that happens on a personal level. Make yourself and your team a part of your video. [This video from Zendesk is technically a recruiting video, but it does such a great job of using the company’s team to illustrate their culture that we had to include it.
- Presenting an emotional appeal is another foundation of an ‘About Us’ video. Emotional appeals separate dry videos from those that inspire audiences to learn more about a brand or business. Emotional appeals can be done in a number of ways: moving storytelling, music, haunting images, affective copy. Intellectual Revolution is an online resource that strives to enlighten and empower through access to information. The site’s ‘About Us’ video demonstrates how music and copy can come together in a way that not only introduces the brand, but inspires the viewer to learn and do more.
- An introductory video should be clear. As you’re planning your video, decide what information really needs to be included in order to pique a potential customer’s interest. Good ‘About Us’ videos limit the distractions a viewer might encounter. Is that clown really communicating your culture? Edit your ideas and focus on vital content that effectively and credibly communicates who you are.
- Remember our brilliant restaurant analogy? A good video will encourage people to enter your site and explore your brand. In an environment where thousands of options are just a click away, your video can make the difference between a viewer continuing to interact with your site or surfing away. ‘About Us’ videos are as varied as the brands they represent, however there are several types of content that many of the best include.