“Cause marketing” is defined by Wikipedia as any type of marketing relationship for social and other charitable causes. It sometimes incorporates fundraising, and some of the possible benefits include improved public relations and customer relationships, and additional marketing opportunities. The very best benefits, of course, are investing in your community and simply giving something back.
Quite simply, authentic cause marketing is a good thing and today, we bring you seven ways to leverage your online hosted videos to further your charitable impact. These ideas can be used by companies and non-profit organizations alike.
Positive customer reviews, also known as testimonials, are well-known to most of you as a way to boost business, but they are also powerful tools when it comes to making a difference. Ask a recipient of the good work you are doing to speak on camera about the difference your support has had in his or her life. Chances are, they will be happy to assist you and your audience will be happy to see that you are more than just a company trying to make money.
A “Day in the Life”
People always want to see what goes on behind-the-scenes of a business. Give them what they want by following an employee, volunteer, or even recipient of the charitable cause you support. This also serves to show them that you put your money where your mouth is and that their donated money or time will be used efficiently.
Spread awareness by educating your audience on the charitable cause you support. If your cause has a designated day or month associated with it, such as “Earth Day” or “World AIDS Day”, use these times of the year as an opportunity to bring it up and show you care year-round.
If you or the charitable cause you have aligned with have the support of a celebrity or renowned person, ask them to film a short clip sharing their thoughts on the cause and asking your viewers to join them in supporting it.
Annual Event Coverage
If you throw or participate in an annual fundraising event or host a special event day for the recipients of your chosen charitable cause, gather footage of it and share it. People who were at the event will love reliving the day, especially if they happen to be featured in the video, and those who were not there but support the cause will delight in seeing the impact you have made together.
Sneak Peeks and Previews
If you plan on holding a fundraising event that incorporates an auction, provide a preview of some of the auction items interspersed with clips of the preparation process, as well as supporters sharing the reasons they support the cause and are excited for the event. This will build anticipation among supporters, and also provide maximum exposure when you and those other event participants share it online.
Showcase Your Impact
Many companies have been supporting the same cause for years and years, long before video marketing was the norm and even before social media and online marketing in general took off. Showcase your support by including shots of great pictures from past charity-related events and work in your online video! It will serve to show your audience that you have been invested in your community in the past and they can trust that you will continue to be in the future.
- Be authentic. Do not just pay lip-service to supporting a particular cause. Showcase the actual work you do so people know you are truly committed to the community.
- Make it relatable to your audience. In your videos, always aim to answer this question for them, “Why should I care?”
- Do not be afraid to share your story. If you have chosen to support a particular cause for personal reasons, relay that story to your audience.
- While you may have the luxury of some viewers being immediately drawn to your video based on the cause you support, do not use that as an excuse to offer subpar video content. There are many ways to approach cause-related videos and you should always keep your content interesting!
- Include sharing options so your viewers can easily post the video to their social media platforms. If it is in your budget, consider offering to donate $1.00 for every share.
- People want to help, and they want to see that you are about more than just making money, so just do it!
Do you regularly incorporate charitable causes into your online video presence? Do you have questions about getting started? Be sure to leave your tips, experiences, and questions with us on Facebook and Twitter.